Friday, June 6, 2008

What kind of school?

I received this email from Maria:

Dear Councillor Lamb,
I attended last weeks meeting regarding the reopening of a school in
Naremburn.

After searching the internet to see if there was any further information, I
came accross your website which had a section titled 'Public Meeting to
reinstate Naremburn Public School'.

I was under the impression that the meeting had not yet determined whether it would be a State, Catholic or Combined School. In fact, some people I subsequently spoke to were convinced that it would be a Catholic School. At the meeting, it became apparent that there would be division over this. This raises the question, 'do people know what they are fighting for-Catholic, State, Combo?' and upon this realisation 'would they continue to show their support?'.


Kindest Regards,
Maria


& in reply :

Dear Maria

My preference is that the NSW government reinstate a public school in Naremburn. At the meeting the consensus reflected in the resolution, was that the community wants a primary school in Naremburn. My understanding is that the working party will be able to explore options in the light of input from all interested stakeholders. Residents of Naremburn are stakeholders. I would encourage anyone interested to contact Working Party members, I'll be posting their contact details & the exact wording of the meeting's resolution on the blog...
Kate


As I don't know the details of all members yet I can tell you that Karen (kptwo@hotmail.com) and Belinda (rb.lewis@bigpond.net.au) who organised the petition are on the Working Party and would like to know what you think - or you might like to post a comment here!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was recently advised that the Catholic school would be reopening, and as noted in "Maria's" email; I too am rather disappointed to now find out that the local community are unknowingly fighting to potentially reopen a state school.

Being a former student of St Leonards Primary School; I recall that during my attendance, the public school across the road closed its gates well before the Catholic school did. With Cammeray and Willoughby Public school's in close proximity to Naremburn, I believe that the reopening of a Catholic school would be the more logical choice. I for one would sooner send my children to Cammeray Public as opposed to Naremburn Public purely for the reputation they have developed over the years. I would only consider sending my children to Naremburn should the school be Catholic (which is the logical choice with the Church and convent surrounding the premises).

I think the local community need to be advised of what it is they're voting for as the majority of people I've spoken to genuinely believe that a Catholic School will be reopening (bearing in mind the local community remember St Leonards Primary School as the Catholic School, and the school across the road as the Public School). Holding meetings and talking about re-opening the school implies to all that the Catholic School will be re-opened.

Mim